Precision Teaching Flashcards Spelling Strategy
- Adult holds the word up for the pupil to see, and adult says the word. Then adult says the names of the letters (not the sounds).
- Ask pupil to read the word and then the letter names. Do this a few times.
- Then, cover the word and ask the pupil to say the word and then the letter names.
- As soon as they get a letter wrong, show the pupil the card without saying anything and they should then say the letters again.
- Repeat this until they get the word right and then give them the word card. They can then put one tick on the card. Use lots of praise and encouragement.
- The next day, introduce the next word on the list and repeat the strategy.
- Then ask them to spell out the words from the day before. Each time they get a word right, they adds one tick to it.
Evidence suggests that if they manage the word correctly 8 times, then they have learned it. Also introducing a few words gradually each day, and repeating the past ones so they do spellings daily, pops it in their long term memories.
Cards with 8 ticks can be added to a special box or pouch, so they can feel proud of their achievements and also use it to revise those words regularly.